Greek Orthodox 78%
Cyprus is the third largest island in the Mediterranean Sea. Longstanding conflict between Greek and Turkish Cypriots has begun to ease, however remnants of bitterness and prejudice remain. The economy struggles under the pressure of bad foreign debt and the decline in tourism brought on by the global financial crisis. The Orthodox Church is a central cultural element, with around two-thirds of the population identifying as Orthodox.
Problems to be solved
- Tension and bitterness between Greek and Turkish Cypriots.
- Economic difficulties.
- Historic and cultural prejudices against Christianity.
- Pray for religious Cypriots to come into a relationship with the living Christ and for there to be renewal within the Orthodox Church.
- Pray for growth and discipleship amongst the Church in Cyprus.
- Pray for wisdom and protection for those who are sharing the Gospel.
Signs of hope
- Cyprus has a legacy of Christian witness dating back to the time of Paul.
- Cyprus is a base for various Christian ministries.
- The Gospel is advancing amongst minority groups.
Sources: (Operation World, 2017)